Saturday, July 9, 2011

ENGLAND!

3rd Stop: London + Dorset, England
-to visit Angel, Vicky and Sarah

Bad weather, always raining, and grumpy British people is often what I hear of when I think of England, but these are such stereotypes, perceptions we have because the world around us tells us to think a place and its people is a certain way, but really that’s just being uneducated.
I encountered a little bit of both, Yes it rained almost half the time I was there. In the morning it seemed like a beautiful day, but then half-way it starts to get cloudy, a little cold, and windy. But the people on the other hand, were actually pretty nice and helpful, even at the supermarket, the cashier I encountered was surprisingly cheerful because usually some seem quite miserable.

But I forgot to say that when I was on the plane to London, I sat beside two Indian students in London, who had just returned from Italy. Don’t know how we started, but we began discussing about the problems of the world. Ideas, problems, career, cultures, education were such things we talked about. Later he questioned me on what I can do to help situations that occur far away, for example in the Middle East, and questioned me about my idealistic view of a “universal brotherhood.” This aim of treating every person as a brother and sister, with mutual love for one another is universal brotherhood.

When we witness such wars, disasters, murders, violence, and suffering, we often ask ourselves what we can do? How we can help?
And he asked me this question...
I answered it is not so much changing the world, or bringing a change in the world through going to a country where there’s these wars and unrest, but this universal brotherhood starts with the relationships we build everyday, to just the person that is infront of us. We think of the world as such a big place, but really we are actually connected to each person with only 6 steps or less. He was a student studying to be a designer that creates shoes, I am a Kinesiology student that thirsts for exercise. When we were talking and sharing about our ideas, it wasn’t always in agreement, he often thought every different from me, but we had common respect for eachother. It starts there, each person that we encounter each and everyday, in each “PRESENT MOMENT.” The society or the world we live in has the basis of individuals but in relation with others, and to build such a world that is something GREATER and BETTER, starts in each day, with each person, in each moment. At the end of the conversation, it was actually amazing as a friendship was built. He is a Muslim, and I am a Christian, but I didn’t feel any difference between us because in the end, we are part of a human family.

So a few days after, I was off to Dorset, which was about 3 hours by train west of London to visit my friend Sarah also with two others that came from Italy-Leticia from Brazil and Clari from Argentina. Yes I enjoyed proper home-made cupcakes, this is such a fad in London, American-style cupcakes. Also enjoyed afternoon tea as the English do, and there was more, scones with strawberry and double cream, and last but not least a two-layered strawberry cake.

 It was awesome to witness the beauty of the landscapes in Southwest England, we spent a whole day practically at the ocean, singing songs, dancing, and screaming, near Man of War Bay, and Durdle Door. We had a picnic as we packed some sandwiches and sat at the top of the hill overlooking one of the most beautiful views. Nothing beats adoring the wonders of nature while being in the company of friends that even if you don’t see often, nothing seems to have changed.

at Man of War Bay

Just for one second, count the number of friends that you have, that know you from the inside and out, that the things you talk or share is not just about people, careers, families, but are founded on something that is beyond superficial. I found it funny that I have close to 1000 friends on facebook, but if I actually saw them all in person, I don’t know if I would actually say Hi to each of them. Social relationships are ones that have become through cyberspace, communication through email, text-messaging, and other forms of non-personal ways. That’s just a little on the society that is transforming into one that seems like having 1000 facebook friends is more appealing than actually have one good friend.

some Gen of England
I could definitely say that the 78 girls I have lived with for the last 9 months in Italy before my travels are not just friends, but “SISTERS.” Though we are miles different, through culture, religion, language, and so many other ways, but if we base our relationships through mutual love for one another, and share things that are more than just talking about other people or events that happen, but things about LIFE. These relationships become one of unity, this universal brotherhood that we are brothers and sisters. Something that is polar opposite to what the society fills our minds with, where relationships have become texting to have a conversation, or facebooking to get the latest scoop on what’s happening with a “facebook friend” that you met the other day.

On another note, I was on the streets of London quite often, strolling on the streets, trying to give a smile at every strangers, or just enjoying each moment with my friends, but every corner all I saw was – SALE, 50%, BUY 1 GET 1 FREE, I’m being serious, a little exaggerated, but on some of the streets like Oxford St, Regent St. In London, that’s all I saw, either you had a shopping bag, or running into a store with a cellphone in hand. But because I try every moment when I’m on those streets to not even go into these stores because they will just lead me into the temptation of buying something I don’t need, but I want. The human desires never end in material possessions when you have the resources to buy it, and you wonder why some kids aren’t satisfied with a Ipod Nano, because it isn’t an IPAD 2. While I was in London, as hard as it was, even when I went to Portobello Market (where everything is so awesomely cool and unique) I bought NOTHING in London, not even a postcard I usually want to buy in each place I go to. I have even stopped doing that because I figured I can just take good pictures and having them as postcards. I try my very best to always question myself if I really need something before I buy it, or if is it just something I want. This money that I try to sacrifice goes towards a greater cause, goes to two kids that I sponsor, a boy from Philippines, and a girl from Haiti.
Portobello Market: everything is there

I seem to be very against and pessimistic about  society, but really I am just a person trying to be aware of what pollutes my mind each day, and not get washed into this culture of having more, but form a new culture. A culture where we can become brothers and sisters, a culture where it is more about giving than having, a culture where there’s love and peace, a change to live for something greater than ourselves, a change for a United World.

Side note: I rather do love the open culture in London, where people don’t take a second glance because you dyed your hair orange, or dress in different neon colours. Where being normal is abnormal in London- so I decided to cut off a good 5 inches of hair changing into a medium length bob-cut, and bleaching my hair to a golden colour on the divided part of my head where it’s half shaved. 
Angel: sisters from the inside and out

1 comment:

  1. THANK U SO MUCH Donta u give me the courage and strength to go ahead no mattering the distance u are a truly life example!!
    so "love conquers all" yes
    ur love, which is God`s love reflcted in u , continues changing lifes!

    ReplyDelete