Thursday, August 2, 2012

Day 10

Justice or just US?
1948- 2000: Palestine (green) and Israel (white)

justice is the struggle for Palestinian freedom since 1948 when their Naqba started: the forceful evasion of Palestinians out of Israeli partitioned land.
just US is the struggle for the Israeli security since 1948 when their Holocaust passed as their dream of a Jewish state occurred named as Israel in the surrounding of 22 other Arab countries. 

Many hear of the Holocaust as I envisioned the story before my eyes when I went to the Yad Vashem museum- a Holocaust Memorial Museum, when a survivor told us of the torture day in and day out he experienced. However in the end he said, "we must try to love one another to make the world a better place."

On the other hand is the Naqba which is forbidden to be taught in Israeli schools and public demonstrations aren't allowed. So I’ve had the chance to visit many of my Palestinian friends and family from Jerusalem, Taybeh (near Ramallah), Haifa and Bethlehem. 
From speaking with all them, they share this common secret.







An elderly lady told me of her father being stabbed when he refused to leave his house and land, when a Jewish family knocked on their door and asked them to leave. Another friend shared with me of her grandparents who were forced to abandon their farm lands and home. You might hear of the pains of the Holocaust, but the Naqba is one that I've been able to see through my own eyes in their stories here in Palestine.


Each Jew, each friend, each Muslim, each neighbour has his/her story...
and it's the sharing of the suffering and pain
that unites these two people with two histories together
as one human being with one story...


is it Justice or Just US?
separate or better together?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Donata for this beautiful piece you wrote on Israelis and Palestinians. Both my mother's and father's families are from Palestine. They were forced out of their homes and lands in 1948. For a long time during my childhood, I couldn't imagine that I could ever forgive the Israelis for what they have done, until I was 15, when I heard the experience of a young woman and how she forgave her enemies who killed her family during the war. I learnt that it is true, love conquers all, just like your title.

    ReplyDelete