Friday, August 24, 2012

Day 2

Yad Vashem Museum

 To speak is to liveshared by a Holocaust survivor, when I visited Yad Vashem-Holocaust Memorial Museum.   Those words caught me off guard as living is speaking. However in the circumstances of the Holocaust, an injustice-
To speak is to live.
This Holocaust survivor shared living in “6 years of hell” because he kept silent of his experience, but he ended his story rightfully with saying that to make the world better, we must try
To love one another

That was the first time I visited the Holocaust Memorial Museum, it was to simply understand the foundation of the State of Israel, which 5 million Jews were displaced after WWII. Hearing the testimonies of the survivors and seeing the vivid images of the brutality and torture made me imagine the experience of the Jewish life during the Holocaust. I was determined to return again and I did so with my friend- a Palestinian. If you have understood my previous posts, this would be surprising because for Palestinians to understand how the Holocaust led to the State of Israel is to recognize their homeland “Palestine” being dissolved by Israel. Despite this fact that most people at the museum were either tourists or Jews, my Palestinian friend expressed her desire to share this experience with others-other Palestinians that is in hopes of being able to better understand the “Other”(Israeli).

Understanding is being educated.
and Education is the most powerful weapon which can be used 
to change the world. -Nelson Mandela

No comments:

Post a Comment