Sunday, August 19, 2012

Day 4


Bittersweet feeling I have now that I left the Holy Land. Before leaving, I was thoroughly checked head to toe as well as my luggage because I had an Egyptian visa in my passport. This was not the first after having my bags checked every time I passed through malls, train stations and museums, only this time was it serious. This is totally normal as security is always a top priority for Israeli people. But why?
Well, an Israeli guy I met outlined it clearly, “We are afraid of them (Arabs, Egyptians, Palestinians, etc)-
Fear is our worst enemy.”

In a larger context, we as humans seem to be motivated by two emotions:
Inevitably the reason for the conflict here in the Middle East and above all problems throughout the world is that instead of trying to love, fear is the much easier choice.
fear and love.
 I’ve experienced both in the Israeli people as I visited Sderot, a city  in fear of missile attacks from Palestinians on a routine basis, but on an occasion I attended a Shabbat dinner (Jewish tradition every Friday).  This Jewish family (Israelis obviously) has been inviting strangers and friends into their home for over 30 years for a 3 course meal, songs and prayer. Despite being squished with 50 other people in one house, it was incredible to see their love for others and generosity towards each person.

How will you choose to act?
...out of
fear and love

No comments:

Post a Comment