Saturday, December 18, 2010

everyone has a Story to tell.

Every person has a story, their struggles, their moments of joy, their challenges, their accomplishments, their moments of laughter and love. All these moments through suffering and joy build the person from the inside and out. So every week, one of us here shares their "life story" everything that makes them who they are. Last weekend it was my turn. I spent hours preparing and thinking of all my moments of challenge and glory. All these moments have shaped my character and personality, especially the most difficult. In my story, every moment and story I shared related to how I'm trying to become the person God has shaped me to be. How each moment has really strengthened my faith, it's not in the joyful moments, but it's in the moments of trial that has led me to greater faith and to find a supernatural JOY.

It was so beautiful because usually you share infront of your unit (11 people); but I asked everyone to come, obviously not everyone came to listen. But majority listened to my story, listened with all their heart to my most difficult moments; hopefully one day if I haven't shared it already with you, that I can personally share it also.

A little experience before my sharing was I wanted to use the small theatre with the projector screen to share my story so everyone could see my pictures. Usually everyone uses a computer, but with so many people that would come, I wanted to use the projector screen. But just before my story, one of the girls wanted to watch a movie there along with some others and she told me in an insistent way. Right away, it was a moment to lose my own idea to welcome the other person's need. Even though I really wanted to use the projector screen, I thought right away, maybe it's not the will of God. So I responded, "Sure, you can use it, not a problem." (in italian obviously). But moments later, she told me that there was a problem and she wouldn't be able to watch it. Also she is a person that I haven't really gotten to know much, but in this moment I happily told her if you are free, you can also come to hear my story. After my story, she left a note on  my bed saying sorry and also she thanked me for knowing the "real" Donata now. I was so touched by this because I have tried previously to talk to her, but it has been difficult because she is quite shy. But in the small experience of sharing my story, now a friendship has started. I realized that once you know someone's story and everything that has made them who they are, it helps to know HOW to love the person. How the person wants to be loved and also you can understand the person better. So these past couple of weeks, that has been my desire, to really talk to others one on one (barely anytime for that, gotta MAKE time).

The more I know what has made the person who they are, the more I can love the person in the way they want to be loved. Or else, we will love others in the way we want- in our perspective. The basis of my experience really is to lose my own idea, will or want to serve the OTHER fully in how they want to be loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment